There’s nothing quite like being able to go on a Rwanda gorilla safari. Before you can go, though, it’s important to make sure you’re as prepared as possible.
This blog covers everything on what you need to know before Gorilla Tracking Safari in the Volcanoes National Park in Rwanda from the cost of the gorilla permit to the best time to the best time to trek gorillas and more.
6 Things To Know About Rwanda Gorilla Safari
- 1. How Much Does a Gorilla Safari Cost?
- 2. How Much is the Gorilla Trekking Fee ?
- 3. Where is the Best Gorilla Trekking Location?
- 4. The Best Time to Visit Rwanda for Gorilla Trekking
- 5. What to Expect During a Gorilla Trekking Safari in Rwanda
- 6. Tips for Making the Most of Your Gorilla Trekking Safari in Rwanda
1. How Much Does a Gorilla Safari Cost?
It’s important to note that the cost of a gorilla safari is not limited to just the safari itself. Other expenses, such as flights, visas, travel insurance, and personal spending money, will also contribute to the overall cost of the trip. When budgeting for your gorilla trekking safari, it’s important to consider all of these costs to get a clearer picture of what to expect.
For those looking to save on their gorilla trekking safari, booking early and traveling during the low season (October – Mid December & January to May) can help reduce the overall cost of the trip. Another option is to opt for a more basic package that doesn’t include extra activities, as these can add to the overall cost of the trip.
However, it’s important to keep in mind that the cost of a gorilla trekking safari is an investment in a once-in-a-lifetime experience. The memories and experiences gained from observing gorillas in the wild will last a lifetime and are truly priceless.
The cost of a gorilla trekking safari with Hope Tours Rwanda can vary, but typically ranges from $1500 to $3000 for a basic package. Remember to consider all the additional expenses, such as flights and visas, and to budget accordingly for your trip.
2. How Much is the Gorilla Trekking Fee ?
The gorilla trekking fee in Rwanda is currently set at $1500 per person non-refundable and must be paid in advance to secure your gorilla trekking permit.
The gorilla trekking fee is a crucial part of the gorilla conservation effort and helps to fund important projects such as habitat protection, research, and community development programs. By paying the gorilla trekking fee, trekkers are not only having a once-in-a-lifetime experience, but they are also making a positive impact on the gorillas and their habitat.
3. Where is the Best Gorilla Trekking Location?
Gorilla trekking is possible in several countries across East and Central Africa, including Rwanda, Uganda, and the Democratic Republic of Congo. However, when it comes to the best gorilla trekking location, Rwanda is widely considered one of the top destinations for gorilla trekking in the world.
Rwanda is home to over half of the world’s remaining mountain gorillas and offers a unique and memorable gorilla trekking experience. The country is known for its stunning scenery, friendly people, and efficient and well-organized gorilla trekking tours. Additionally, Rwanda’s efforts to conserve gorillas and their habitat have earned it a reputation as a leader in sustainable tourism and conservation.
Hope Tours Rwanda is proud to offer sustainable gorilla trekking safaris in Rwanda, giving trekkers the opportunity to observe gorillas while also making a positive impact on the environment. Whether you’re an experienced trekker or a first-time visitor, Rwanda is the perfect destination for a once-in-a-lifetime gorilla trekking experience.
4. The Best Time to Visit Rwanda for Gorilla Trekking
Rwanda is a year-round destination for gorilla trekking, with trekking tours available throughout the year. However, the best time to visit Rwanda for gorilla trekking will depend on several factors, including your personal preferences and travel plans.
The dry seasons, which run from June to September and December to February, are considered the best times to visit Rwanda for gorilla trekking. During the dry seasons, the trails are easier to navigate, and visibility is better, making it easier to spot gorillas in their natural habitat. Additionally, the dry seasons offer clear, sunny skies and cooler temperatures, making for a more comfortable trekking experience.
The wet seasons, which run from March to May and October to November, are considered the low season for gorilla trekking in Rwanda. During the wet seasons, the trails can be slippery, and visibility may be limited, making it more difficult to spot gorillas. However, the wet seasons offer lush, green scenery and an abundance of wildlife, making it a great time for wildlife viewing and birdwatching.
5. What to Expect During a Gorilla Trekking Safari in Rwanda
When you embark on a gorilla trekking safari in Rwanda, you can expect a truly unforgettable and unique experience. With a focus on sustainable tourism practices, you’ll be able to observe gorillas in their natural habitat while minimizing the impact of your visit. Here is what you can expect:
- Physical Challenge – Gorilla trekking can be physically challenging, as the trek often involves hiking through steep, rugged terrain in search of the gorillas. You should be in good physical shape and have a moderate level of fitness to ensure a comfortable and enjoyable experience.
- Adherence to Rules – To protect the gorillas, strict rules are in place for gorilla trekking. This includes keeping a minimum distance of 7 meters from the gorillas, avoiding direct eye contact, and avoiding loud noises or sudden movements. Our guides will ensure that you are aware of and adhere to these rules at all times.
- Limited Time with Gorillas – Gorilla trekking permits are limited and time with the gorillas is strictly limited to one hour. During this time, you will have the opportunity to observe and take photos of the gorillas, but it’s important to be respectful of their behavior and follow the rules.
- Opportunities for Cultural Exploration – In addition to gorilla trekking, Rwanda offers a rich cultural heritage and a wealth of other attractions, such as visiting local communities, exploring the country’s scenic beauty, and learning about its history. Hope Tours Rwanda can also arrange for additional activities and cultural experiences to complement your gorilla trekking tour.
By keeping these expectations in mind and others on what you need to know before gorilla tracking safari, you will be able to fully appreciate and enjoy your gorilla trekking safari in Rwanda with Hope Tours Rwanda.
6. Tips for Making the Most of Your Gorilla Trekking Safari in Rwanda
To make the most of your gorilla trekking safari in Rwanda, consider the following tips:
- Prepare for the Trek: Gorilla trekking can be physically demanding, so it’s important to prepare for the hike. Make sure to wear sturdy and comfortable footwear, bring a backpack with snacks and water, and dress appropriately for the weather conditions.
- Arrive Early: To ensure you get the best experience, aim to arrive at the park headquarters early on the day of your trek. This will give you ample time to prepare, complete any necessary paperwork, and listen to a safety briefing from park rangers.
- Respect the Gorillas: Gorillas are wild animals and it’s important to respect their space and behavior. Your guide will provide instructions on how to approach and observe the gorillas, but remember to keep your voice low, avoid sudden movements, and never touch the gorillas.
- Be Patient: Gorilla trekking can be unpredictable and you may have to wait for a while before encountering a family of gorillas. Be patient, enjoy the scenery, and take the opportunity to rest and hydrate.
- Support Local Communities: By choosing a sustainable tour operator like Hope Tours Rwanda, you’re supporting local communities and preserving the gorillas’ habitat for future generations. Consider purchasing souvenirs from local artisans, dining at local restaurants, and participating in cultural activities to further support the community.
By following these tips on what you need to know before Gorilla tracking safari, you can make the most of your gorilla trekking safari in Rwanda and create memories that will last a lifetime. Book your trip with Hope Tours Rwanda today and get ready for an adventure of a lifetime!